Entertainment

The Summer time of Kenosha Tribune

Spread the love

For today’s wallow in historical past, enable me just take you again forty Augusts in the past, when I was editorial cartoonist for a very little start out-up newspaper, the Kenosha Tribune. The Tribune was edited by Ken Meyer, my editor at the College of Wisconsin at Parkside Ranger in the 1981-82 college 12 months. In the beginning presented for sale for 25 cents, by August, the paper was free.

in Kenosha Tribune, August 5, 1982

Most of my preliminary cartoons for the Tribune dealt with national matters, but by August, I was creating a concentrated hard work to emphasis on point out and nearby troubles. Hence the above cartoon involved the challenge of drunk driving, exacerbated by Wisconsin having, at the time, a decreased legal drinking age than just in excess of the state line in Illinois.

in Kenosha Tribune, August 19, 1982

One more cross-border problem was Commonwealth Edison’s nuclear electricity plant in Zion, Illinois, and issue that communication to Wisconsin communities in the event of an incident at the plant was missing. This was 3 a long time just after the meltdown at 3 Mile Island, and four yrs right before that at Chernobyl, Ukraine.

A a lot less significant incident at the Zion plant led to its getting retired in 1998. A year before, anyone incorrectly inserted and then taken off some control rods in a reactor though it was shut down ComEd in the long run determined that the reactor was no for a longer period economically possible, and it has been inactive ever considering the fact that. It is scheduled for entire closure in December, 2026.

For the higher than cartoon, I sat outside the house the Kenosha Municipal Setting up in the warmth of summertime to sketch the area. Kenosha city govt just moved out of the developing this year.

for Madison Unbiased, July, 1982

I’m not positive whether or not this cartoon belongs in this site put up. For a single issue, it is dated in July. For a different, I am possessing trouble remembering what the Madison Unbiased was, and how I came to attract 1 and only one particular cartoon for it. I haven’t uncovered any report of the Independent on line, possibly.

But I vaguely remember that the Tribune‘s publisher, Al Holzman, experienced goals of creating a publishing empire in the space. No matter if he had hoped to entice the management of Madison Independent into a deal with cartoons as part of the package, or irrespective of whether the newspaper at any time existed in the very first area, I have no concept — except that I do remember that I mimicked the font of its flag for the credit history line up coming to my signature.

for Kenosha Tribune, July/Aug. 1982

In addition to editorial cartooning, I drew illustrations for a range of information and aspect stories, this sort of as the earlier mentioned one particular for a write-up about drunk driving…

in Kenosha Tribune, July 8, 1982

…this one for a front-web site write-up about competitors for the cable Television set monopoly in Kenosha…

in Kenosha Tribune, August 19, 1982

… and this a person to accompany Ken’s obituary for Henry Fonda. The editorial board also requested me to attract sketches of the normal columnists, on account of one particular who failed to photograph very well we were being pleased with the resulting portraits. And I wrote a way-also-extensive-even-after-brutal-modifying attribute article about GenCon XV. (It really is just as well that I wrote it below a pseudonym.)

Meanwhile, all was not working effortlessly at the Trib. The publisher, proprietor of 51% of the paper, was at odds with the other 7 customers of the board, who owned equivalent shares of the remaining 49%. Somewhere along the line, Holzman’s name was taken out from the masthead, but he remained in management as greater part proprietor.

One issue the seven other members of the board have been able to do without having Holzman’s acceptance was to secure a lease on a 2nd-tale business office suite in downtown Kenosha. They moved important machines out of the shabby minor storefront on 43rd Avenue, and failed to give the publisher keys to the new office.

Needless to say, this didn’t sit effectively with Mr. Holzman. Lawsuits and injunctions were threatened and filed, advertisers withdrew their aid, and the first problem published out of the Haugaard-Isermann developing would be the Tribune‘s very last.

in Kenosha Tribune, August 26, 1982

Fantastic thing the economy was buying up. This was my editorial cartoon in that closing problem, mocking one of the Republican candidates for Wisconsin’s Governor — Wisconsin’s slide key becoming held in September in people days.

To wrap this all up, I have gotten again in touch with a several Tribune people by Fb as we’ve gone our independent techniques — and operate into one particular or two all around town whose ways have introduced them back or failed to just take them very significantly. Ken drowned in a swimming accident in Marble Falls, Texas in 1985. Al Holzman hardly ever became the Charles Foster Kane of the Midwest I have no clue what ultimately grew to become of him.

And Lowell Jackson failed to get the GOP gubernatorial nomination, but did serve as Transportation Secretary in Tony Earl’s administration.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.